It's finally the time of year where you and your family can go on a Summer road trip! If you're packing up the car and heading out on the highway, you'll want to be prepared for anything. Here are four essential tasks to take care of before you go:
1. Get a Pre-Summer Road Trip Tune-Up
A breakdown can really throw a wrench in your travel plans, so make sure your car is road-worthy with a pre-trip tune-up. Have your mechanic check for any recalls and perform a comprehensive tune-up and inspection, including:
- Shocks and struts
- Tires, including the spare
Also make sure you have flares, jumper cables, a jack, and a basic first-aid kit in the trunk.
2. Review and Update Your Auto Insurance Policy
Before you hit the road for your Summer road trip, you'll want to make sure your auto coverage is up-to-date. Ask about roadside assistance, which can save you a lot of money and trouble in the event of a breakdown or accident. Ask your auto insurance agent to explain what your car coverage includes, such as additional drivers, accidents, weather damage, and theft.
3. Download Essential Road Trip Apps
Apps on your phone can improve your Summer road trip in a number of ways, from saving you money to keeping you entertained. Consider these essential road trip apps:
- Gas Buddy locates nearby gas stations and displays current prices. Sort by price, distance, or current location.
- Google Maps Navigation identifies traffic jams and offers alternative routes, and it lets you search for any type of business along your route.
- Swackett is a weather app that shows the current weather and any applicable warnings for your current location. Swipe, and it gives you fashion, health, and lifestyle tips based on the forecast.
- Roadside America points out nearby roadside attractions—both popular and obscure—and provides hours and directions.
- Spotify lets you leave your stack of CDs at home. Stream virtually any type of music or any band you can think of, or set up playlists of all your favorites before you go.
- Audible is an audiobooks subscription service featuring a huge selection of tomes to get you through long stretches behind the wheel.
4. Compile Any Personal Information You Need For a Summer Road Trip
Google Docs is ideal for making a list of essential phone numbers, account numbers, and other information you may need in an emergency. Include your auto insurance agency contact information and policy numbers, your physician's phone number, copies of your prescriptions, a list of your credit cards, and information about hotels and other reservations you've made for the trip. Your information is accessible from anywhere, including your phone, and it's password-protected to keep it safe.
Texan Insurance is a friendly Houston insurance agency, and we're ready to help you have the best possible road trip this summer. Contact us today to review your auto insurance policy or get new auto coverage. We hope you have a fun and safe trip!