Its that time of year again. For the next two weeks, Spring Break travelers will officially take over Texas. At Elzey Insurance, we want you to be safe as you go about on your travels so here are a few tips for you to remember:
- Make sure your car is properly serviced before hitting the road! Take it to a mechanic and have all fluids topped off, tires rotated and your engine serviced. This is especially important for long road trips!
- Buckle up! I know road trips can get boring and the temptation is there to unbuckle and stretch out but remember, it only takes a split second for an accident to occur and you want to make sure that you are properly protected!
- Stop frequently. This is especially important when driving several hours at a time. Even if you aren't hungry or if you don't think you're tired, stop every 2 hours and stretch your legs. This can help you retain your focus and keep you mentally aware of your surroundings!
- One expert notes the importance of picking the right hotel room location: "Reserve a room that’s above the 1st floor but below the 6th floor. Why? First floor rooms are easier to break into, and rooms above the sixth floor are sometimes too high for fire ladders to reach." Its also important to make a mental note of where the nearest fire exits and stairwells are located in case you need to evacuate.
- Before leaving on your trip, plan ahead and come up with a travel itinerary that should include what roads you will be traveling on and where you will be staying. The travel itinerary should be given to someone who is not going with on the trip so they can know where you are at all times in case something does go wrong.
- Safety at the ATM. Always make sure there is enough space between you and the person behind you. You don't want the person behind you to be able to see you enter PIN. Also, if the ATM is poorly lit, find another location.
- Make sure to bring cell phone chargers for the car and home. The last thing you want to have to deal with is being lost on the road without a charged cell phone!
- Children often become restless on a long road trip. Try to keep them occupied by bring small toys they can play with, CDs, and if you have a DVD player, movies for them to watch
- Make sure to bring your Insurance Agent's contact information in case you are involved in an accident. If you have an iPhone, you can easily download the FREE Elzey Insurance App (just search "Elzey Insurance"). In our app, you will have access to our 24/7 insurance numbers, our website, important "What To Do" information if you are in an accident and MORE!
- Don't forget a roadside emergency kit! Things it should include: cell phone charger; sun screen and sun protection; flashlight and batteries; blankets; waterproof matches and/or a lighter; snacks and bottled water; first aid kit; properly inflated spare tire; tire jack and lug nut wrench; jumper cables and signal flares; pocket knife; plastic trash bags for wind protection; road atlas and state/local road maps; quart of oil; hand cleaner and paper towels; and your family’s emergency contact list.
Most of all, be aware of your surroundings at all times. You can still have a good time and be safe! We hope you have a wonderful spring break!
"Insure with us today, Be sure of tomorrow!"