It's holiday time and it usually causes chaos for your diet, what with all the parties and get-togethers and delicious food. Family events and work related functions are not a time to deny a small indulgence you simply cannot avoid, but don’t overdo it. Here's a dieter’s party guide to help you be polite while keeping your diet intact.
Tips for Keeping Your Diet Intact at a Party:
You may think cocktail party hors d'oeuvres are so small they couldn't possibly hurt your diet, but you're wrong. Most party treats are incredibly high in calories for such a small portion, meaning you're adding up the calories without any of the satisfaction of feeling full!
Tips for Keeping Your Diet Intact at a Dinner Party:
- Do a walk-through of the party and scope out the hors d'oeuvres selection when you first arrive. That way you'll know exactly what you want to save your calories for.
- Don't stand near the hors d'oeuvres throughout the party. It's a dangerous spot that's far too tempting. Be social, move about and talk to people while nibbling here and there.
- Upon arrival, give yourself about 15 minutes with a non-caloric beverage like sparkling water. Party guests usually start with the food as a social buffer, but this can lead to overdoing it. Likewise, if you go straight for a cocktail, you're more likely to over-indulge in foods later.
- For every cocktail or glass of wine, have a glass of water. This will keep you fuller longer, and keep you from drinking too much.
Dinner parties, either in a restaurant or in someone’s home can be difficult for dieters. To keep calories low without bringing attention to your diet, follow these helpful tips:
- Always order the steamed vegetable or mixed greens as a side
- Avoid cream-based soups and salad dressings
- Avoid the bread basket
- Choose lean protein
- Stick to a maximum of one alcoholic beverage
Hopefully the holidays are a joyous time for you. Don’t let diets get in the way, while at the same time don’t ruin all your healthy efforts.
Insure with us today, Be sure of tomorrow!