Looking for ways to save energy at home? Some of the most effective ways to cut your energy use — and utility bills — are the easiest! Check out these simple energy-saving strategies:
- Unplug appliances and electronics that you don’t use often. Stopping these ‘energy vampires’ can save you as much as 10 percent on your electricity bill.
- Install a programmable thermostat to reduce the temperature of your home when you’re not there.
- Set your refrigerator temperature at the temperature recommended by the manufacturer. Many people set the refrigerator temperature too low. Check the seals on your refrigerator and freezer.
- Clean or replace your air filters regularly. Air conditioners and furnaces have to work harder to pull air through dirty filters.
- Use cold water more often to wash laundry. For more ways to save energy while cleaning your clothes, check out this guide.
- Look for the EnergyGuide label when replacing your appliances.