Earth Day Ideas 2014
April 22nd is Earth Day and that means that it is time again to get out there and do something good for our planet. Here at Texan Insurance, our team has come up with a few great ideas to help you get involved:
- Organize an Earth Day event! Any one can do it. Just get together a group of friends, family or community members and work together on a project that will help improve your neighborhood. That can mean planting flowers in a community garden or covering up unsightly graffiti.
- Learn to compost! Not only can it help to divert as much as 30% of your household waste away from the landfill, but it is also good for the environment. Check out this article from EarthEasy on ways to get started.
- Recycle! Now this one might seem simple, but it is amazing how many people out there don’t do it on a regular basis. Just remember to separate your glass bottles from all other recyclables and you’re set.
- Spend less time idling your vehicles! This can help to offset carbon emissions.
- Plant a tree! Trees aren’t just pretty, they are vital to our survival. The Earth Day Canopy Project supports the reforestation and rebuilding of urban canopies in cities all over the world. You can join in by planting a tree in your neighborhood!
- Invest in solar panels! Solar panels are a great addition to any home. They power not only your own home, but in some instances you can even get credit from your power company for providing additional energy to help power your neighbors.
- Attend the Earth Day Texas annual event! This free two-day festival will be held on Saturday April 26th and Sunday April 27th from 10 am to 6 pm at Fair Park in Dallas. There will be exhibits, entertainment and education for all ages. Come learn to lead a more sustainable life!