Holiday Home Protection Tips
Burglaries happen year round, but they tend to spike over the holidays. Thieves can’t seem to help themselves, they know you’re going out of town, and they know you’ve got a lot of goodies inside. In fact, according to the FBI over one quarter of all home burglaries occur during the winter months.
As a homeowner, there are things that you can do to help prevent burglaries. Check out our tips for keeping your home safe from the threat of theft this holiday season:
- It shouldn’t be easy – Leaving doors and windows unlocked makes it far easier than it should be for a thief to break into your home. Deadbolt all exterior doors, and be sure not to leave your garage door opener in your car if it is parked outside.
- It’s all in the material – Having a solid door won’t stop a thief from entering your home, but it can help to deter them.
- Light it up – If you are planning on heading out of town, it would be smart to set several indoor lights on a timer. Outdoor lights should be mounted so that they cannot be tampered with.
- Keep it neat – Maintaining your landscaping doesn’t just add to the curb appeal of your home, but it also helps to decrease the number of places that a burglar can hide. Try to keep all shrubs trimmed below window level.
- Disconnect – You store a lot of valuable information on your computer, and so does your ISP. When you aren’t home, be sure to disconnect from the internet and clear all personal information.
- Out of town tips – If you are planning on leaving town, talk to a neighbor you trust and ask them to keep an eye on your home for you while you are gone. Also, if it is not an inconvenience, ask them to pick up any mail or packages that may be lying around so that they can hold them for you until you get back.
Protect your home this holiday season with a Texan Homeowner or Renter Insurance policy!