Hurricane Season Half-Way Point
Hurricane Survival and Safety Tips
Halfway through hurricane season and we have been fortunate enough to have not yet been hit by one of nature’s great destroyers. In May, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) had predicted between seven and 11 hurricanes in what they thought was going to be a very active hurricane season for the Atlantic. That number has since been lowered to six to nine, with the possibility of three to five of those storms anticipated to develop into major hurricanes.
Yes, we have been lucky so far, but who is to say when and where that luck will run out? At Texan Insurance, we believe in protection, and often times the best protection is a little self-awareness and preparation. Should Mother Nature decide to strike, here are a few tips for keeping you and your family safe.
Safety Tips: Caught in the Storm
FEMA recommends the following tips should you be caught in a hurricane:
- Listen to the TV or radio for information on the storm
- Secure your home – close any entrances to your home and ensure your storm shutters have been shut
- Turn the refrigerator thermostat to its coldest setting and keep the door closed; it is likely you will be instructed to turn off all utilities
- Turn off any propane tanks and/or gas valves
- Fill your bathtub or any other large basin with fresh water for sanitation purposes (washing up, flushing toilets)
- Stay away from any windows or glass doors. Make sure to keep all blinds or window shades closed
- Similar to a tornado, seek shelter in a small interior room on your home’s lowest level
- Reason to evacuate:
- You live in a mobile home or temporary structure
- You live in a high rise apartment
- You live anywhere on the coast, a floodplain, or waterway
Did you know that Homeowners and Commercial Property insurance policies exclude coverage for damage due to flooding? Contact a Texan agent for more information on one of our Flood Insurance policies.
Source – Hurricanes: During
Photo – http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0329vPBuV1r2vwz4o1_500.jpg