Prom Night Safety on the Road: Safe Driving Tips and Insurance for Teenage Drivers in Houston
Prom season is a magical time during the school year. It’s the time when your hard-working student gets to relax. They have their outfit, but whose car are they using? If they plan on driving your car, it is time to have a conversation before they leave for prom. Your Houston insurance company is here to make sure this goes as smooth as possible.
How to Approach Your Teenager
Some teenagers get defensive before important conversations. To make sure the chat is a success, you have to know how to approach your teenager.
- Pick the right time. Are they at their best right after school? Do they need a chance to relax before you hit them with important information? You know your child, choose the best time to have this important conversation.
- Make sure you are in a good mood. Yes, the topic is serious, but you don’t want them to feel as if they are in trouble. Make sure you are in a good mood where they don’t feel blindsided or offended by the information.
- Keep your ears open. Inevitably during an important conversation, they will have questions. Don’t blow them off. Rather, take the time to answer their questions. Explain things so they understand.
Important Things to Go Over
It is almost time to talk with your teenager. Do you know what you are going to say?
- Focus on prom night safety. Make sure they understand a few important rules for the night. If they feel tired, let someone else drive or find somewhere to rest before getting behind the wheel. There is no room for underage drinking. A simple drink can turn a happy night tragic. It may also have lasting effects on their future.
- Discuss the dangers of distracted driving. Even the most attentive driver can become distracted when surrounded by excitement. Make sure they understand the risks of distractions behind the wheel. If they have a group of friends traveling with them, make sure they pass the information on to them.
- Go over basic driving safety tips. Show them how to prepare the car for the road by checking the tires, fluids, and fuel level. Make sure they have a car safety kit that is easy to access in case of an emergency.
What to Do If Something Goes Wrong
Every insurance company in Houston knows plans can change in the blink of an eye. The final part of your discussion should focus on if something goes wrong. These are important tips for them to keep in mind, but not focus on.
- Keep a charged cell phone in the vehicle. Make sure someone has a charged phone on hand to call for help.
- Pull the vehicle over to the side of the road, only if it is safe to do so. Show them how to turn on the emergency flashers.
- Let them know where the insurance information is in case they need it.
- Make sure they know how to change a tire in case of a flat. If you have an auto club membership, give them the number for emergencies.
- Stress the importance of staying calm. Emergencies can mar a memorable night. Make sure they know to remain calm during the stressful event. It does not have to ruin their night.
Before ending the discussion go over teenage driver insurance. Open the floor for questions and make sure you answer their questions.
Parents, put your mind at ease before prom night. Call us to make sure your responsible teenager is on your policy. We can also go over your policy and explain the coverage you have for when another driver is behind the wheel.