Safe Driving Tips During Freezing Weather Conditions
It doesn’t snow often in Houston but when it does – it throws everyone for a loop! Since we aren’t use to driving in this type of weather, I thought I’d share a few smart driving tips to keep you safe!
- Check the tire pressure in your vehicle’s tires. Extreme drops in temperature will sometimes cause your tire pressure to decrease.
- Start your car and let it run for a couple of minutes before you drive it.
- Drive more slowly. This may sound like common sense but its easy to get distracted while driving and accelerate!
- Brake before your turn a corner.
- Try not to drive over bridges. Ice forms on bridges first when there is frozen precipitation. If you have to drive over a bridge, please drive carefully and do not accelerate.
- Avoid using cruise control on any slippery surface like ice or snow.
- Accelerate and decelerate slowly. Don’t try to get moving in a hurry. And take time to slow down for a stoplight. Remember: It takes longer to slow down on icy roads.
Please be safe out there! If you don’t have to get out – don’t! Sometimes, its just smart to play it safe – especially since we are not use to driving in these type of conditions!