Simple Safe Driving Rules From Elzey Insurance
Did you know that someone dies on our roads every 13 minutes. In fact, more Americans have been killed in traffic accidents than have lost their lives in all military combats. There are more than six million accidents a year on US roads, a third of them resulting in injury. At Elzey Insurance, we want you to be prepared at all times. Here are a few tips to help protect you while driving:
- Avoid driving when you are tired. Drinking caffeinated drinks and eating sugary snacks can help you stay alert – but only in the short term. Take a rest-break, with exercise, every couple of hours. But there’s only one true solution when you’re tired – stop and sleep.
- Always drive within the speed limit. They may frustrate us but they’re there for a purpose beyond raising revenue for the police department. A quarter of all collisions involve speeding vehicles. Even within the speed limit, driving too fast for the road conditions increases anxiety and causes crashes.
- Don’t drink (or take drugs) and drive. Everyone knows this rule but so many people ignore it. There’s strong evidence to suggest there’s no such thing as a “safe” level of alcohol for drivers. Just don’t do it. In addition to the grief these avoidable accidents generate, they also cost $45 billion a year in damages, lost productivity and medical charges.
- Practice courtesy. Road rage is dangerous. It happens most when you assume you have the right of way, and so does the other driver. Learn to be a gracious driver. You could be at a four way stop, pulling out from a parking bay, or planning a maneuver, like passing another vehicle. Giving way to the other driver is not only safer – it’ll also make you feel good!
- Keep your auto clean and in good health. Dirty windows equal poor visibility. Add in poor brakes, lighting, windshield wipers, door locks, tire condition and pressures, and you’re mixing a recipe for disaster. Good maintenance not only enhances vehicle safety but, in the long term, it probably saves you money.
- Park and drive off with care. Make sure to check all mirrors and looking over your shoulder when driving and changing lanes. Check mirrors for pedestrians and cyclists when opening your car door.
Around the world, more than a million people die on the roads every year and another 50 million are injured. Please don’t be complacent. For more information on safe driving, please visit our Research Center online or call Elzey Insurance at 281-998-2500. Safe Driving is important! That’s why Elzey Insurance is focusing on all auto aspects ranging from safe driving to properly being insured in the month of November. We hope you enjoy this series and we encourage you to pass is along to your family and friends.