In an effort to help you understand the various forms of insurance, we are continuing our blog series on “What Type of Insurance Do You Need.” If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com. There are a number of important factors like the level of deductibles, credit score, driving and loss history, and even the amount of annual mileage, that can significantly affect the rate. A basic auto insurance policy provides you with cover against the following risks arising from an accident:
- Injuries you (or the designated driver) causes to others, either when driving your own vehicle or driving someone else’s with their permission.
- Damage you cause to someone else’s vehicle or property.
- The cost of treatment for injuries to you or your passengers, and possibly other compensation – for lost earnings for example.
- Damage to your own vehicle after a collision or other accidental incident (like a pothole). If the accident was not your fault, your insurer will try to recover their money from the other driver’s insurer.
- Theft of your auto or damage caused by something other than a collision with another vehicle – like a flood, hitting an animal, being hit by a falling object or your engine catching fire.
- The cost of towing and reimbursement of costs for renting a replacement auto while yours in repaired or replaced.
- Uninsured drivers. If the accident is caused by an uninsured (or under-insured) driver, your policy will cover cost of repairs and treatment. It may even cover you if you’re a pedestrian injured in these circumstances.
Many states such as Texas, set minimum levels for cover, especially for liability to other people, but if you feel this is inadequate for your circumstances, you can increase this. Individual policies also vary in terms of the level of deductible permitted and payment for such events as windshield breakage. In addition to regular auto insurance, you can also get policies specially tailored for the needs of motorcyclists (cover is similar to that for autos) and RVers (cover varies depending on how the vehicle is used – e.g., as a permanent home). We would love to talk to you about the proper insurance coverage for your vehicle. At Elzey Insurance, every one of policies comes with an agent! We would like to go over all your insurance options. Please click here for a no-obligation quote or call us at 1-866-660-6800.